A Fine Ink and Watercolour Plan of Gibraltar, with Simple Compass Arrow and Distance Scale.
Untitled manuscript map, n.d., c.1780,. (270 x 745 mm)
The map shows the town, jetty and fortifications of this important British Mediterranean possession. However the distance scale is measured in 'Pieds' £1,500
A Fine, attractive manuscript Map of Gibraltar most likely prepared by one of the De La Feuille family. Depicts the peninsula and town of Gibraltar from an east facing view perspective. The town of Gibraltar is well laid out with 31 important numbered locations throughout,
Gibraltar is a rocky promontory on the southernmost extension of the Iberian Peninsula. Due to its strategic location at the entrance to the Mediterranean, it has long been a spot of military and political contention. Gibraltar was seized by British and Dutch troops during the 1704 Spanish War of Succession and in 1713 the Treaty of Utrecht, which ended the war, upheld the English claim. Cartographers and map publishers quickly capitalized on a general interest in the War and began to advertise maps and plans of “the Rock”. For want of good cartographic material, most of the publishers of the time, including Covens and Mortier, Henrich de Leth, and others, relied on any updated manuscript material available. This particular map seems to have been based stylistically upon the map drawn by Spaniard Don Luis Bravo Acuña in 1627.