Augsburg [first quarter of 19th century], large folio (550 x 350mm), with 64 Exquisite Watercolours on 15 Sheets titled ’Collection Soyter’
Soyter built an important collection of medieval and renaissance objects. A publication from 1871 catalogues part of the collection (“Waffenstucke, Rustungen, Kunstwerke & Gerathschaften des Mittelalters und der Renaissance. In einer Auswahl der schonsten Stucke aus der … Sammlung des Particuliers J.M. Soyter”).
His collection of arms and armour was highly important, and the Metropolitan Museum holds a superb Tournament Helmet dated 1510 from Soyter’s Collection,
The objects displayed in these drawings are from Soyter’s collection and collections of the city of Augsburg. The religious objects are from the 11th century Cathedral Museum and some of its Gothic collection from the 14th century and some from the Municipal Zeughaus, the Town Hall of Augsburg (Augsburger Rathaus) which is the administrative centre of Bavaria, and one of the most significant secular buildings of the Renaissance Style north of the Alps. It was designed and built by Elias Holl, Stadtbaumeister (Master Builder of the town), in 1615–1624. Due to its historic and cultural importance, it is protected by the Hague Convention.
Many of these artifacts included in the drawings are now lost and this is the only record of some of the superb pieces in the collections. Highly skilled watercolour drawings, each is described in manuscript below the drawing.