[Poland] Die Stat Swybuschin in nider Schlesian,
A fine engraved town plan of Swiebodzin, from “Civitates orbis terrarum”, contemporary hand colouring, 3 sets of coat of arms, including those of Maximillian von Knoblesdorf, captain and sovereign, blank cartouche on the left, Latin text on verso, framed and glazed, overall size 345 x 365mm, Cologne, c.1595
The first engraved view of Swiebodzin, in Poland. The town was built around an intersection of the old trade routes linking Silesia with Pomerania and a branch of the route running from Lusatia to Wielkopolska. The plan shows a spacious town built around an impressive Town Hall, built c.1550. In the beginning, it was probably a defensive fortification ringed by settlements, which were later incorporated into the city itself.
Swiebodzin was known for the manufacture of beer and cloth. Originally part of Lower Saxony, in 1335 it passed to the Duchy of Glogów. In 1526 Swiebodzin came under Habsburg rule and in 1472, after the First Silesian War, it became part of Prussia. After the Second World War, the city fell to Poland.