A Fine 38cm (15inch) Celestial Table Globe.
The sphere with twelve gores printed with the constellation figures, cartouche with printed title
A very attractive globe, mounted within brass meridian, on contemporary ebonised wood stand with horizon ring with printed calendar and zodiac scales 22in (56cm) high.
The Cary family firm was regarded as England’s leading globe publishers from the early 1790s to its closure in 1850. It was run by brothers John and William Cary. John Cary (c. 1754-1835) was the engraver and businessman, while William Cary (c. 1760-1825) specialized in making mathematical instruments.
The celebrated Cary family of cartographers and globe makers produced some of the greatest late Georgian globes, and are often considered the best 19th century British globe maker. The firm was started in the late 18th century by John Cary, who often worked in partnership with his brother William Cary, a scientific instrument maker (selling as J. & W. Cary).
The Cary brothers moved their business to 86 St. James’s Street in about 1820, leaving the premises at 181 Strand to John Cary’s sons George (c. 1788-1859) and John Jr. (1791-1852). While most J. & W. Cary globes were produced from 1791 to 1816, in the 1820s some Cary globes were still issued under that name. Meanwhile, the family also produced a variety of globes under the name G. & J. Cary from the 1820s to about 1850. In 1850, George Frederick Cruchley, a map seller, took over a portion of the Cary business and produced maps and globes from 1850 to about 1876.